W. Hockey Drops Pair At No. 10 Mercyhurst

The Cornell women’s hockey team dropped two games over the weekend to No. 10 Mercyhurst College at the Mercyhurst Ice Center. On Saturday, the Red fell to Mercyhurst with its second consecutive 2-1 loss. Then yesterday, the Red suffered another tough loss, this time by a score of 4-1.

The two-game sweep brought Mercyhurst to a record of 8-5, while dropping Cornell’s record to 1-7 overall. The Red has lost three in a row.

On Saturday, the Cornell jumped out to an early lead. Senior forward Jenel Bode scored her third goal of the season at 14:01 in the first period. Junior Lindsay Murao and senior Erinn Perushek both picked up assists. The Lady Lakers would even the score at 16:30 when sophomore forward Lindsay Barch picked up her fifth goal of the season on an assist from Kelly Raycroft.

The score would stay tied at one until 13:13 of the second period, when junior defender Liz Betteridge scored the game-winning goal for the Lady Lakers to complete the game’s scoring. Randi Pilger picked up the assist.

Junior goalie Sanya Sandahl had 23 saves for the Red, while Lady Laker netminder, junior Tiffany Ribble stopped 12 of 13 Cornell shots. Ribble’s saves include stopping Murao’s third-period breakaway to ensure the victory.

Yesterday, Mercyhurst grabbed the lead first, scoring at 4:37 of the second period. The Lady Lakers took advantage of a two-skater advantage, with Barch scoring her team-leading sixth goal in Mercyhurst’s 13 games. Junior forward Seanna Murphy and Betteridge picked up assists.

The Red tied the score at 7:01, when freshman forward Pam Hannah scored her first collegiate goal. Sophomore Allison Simpson and senior Eva Nahorniak assisted her. The Red would go into the second intermission with a 1-1 tie.

In the third period, however, the Lady Lakers broke the game open. Freshman forward Lindsay Dellow scored what would prove to be the game-winning goal just 64 seconds into the third period. Sophomore forward Britney Millar scored the third Lady Laker goal 15 seconds later to put Mercyhurst ahead by two goals.

Mercyhurst’s fourth and final goal was scored on a power play at 9:38 by freshman Chrissy Yule. The Lady Lakers were 2 of 6 on the power play.

Cornell’s Liz Connelly took the loss, making 30 saves on 34 shots. Mercyhurst goalie, freshman Desi Clark, stopped 13 of 14 shots to earn her second win of the season.

The Red travel back home to Lynah this weekend to face Yale on Friday night, in preparation for a game against Princeton on Saturday afternoon.

Archived article by Matt Nassr