Swimmers Head To Akron Invite

The Cornell women’s swimming and diving team (1-4, 1-4 Ivy League) competes in the Akron Invitational this weekend. Each year the University of Akron hosts the meet in Akron, Ohio as the Oliver J. Ocasek Natatorium becomes the site of one of the largest collegiate swimming and diving invitationals in the nation. Beginning today, an estimated 612 swimmers and divers are scheduled to compete through Sunday. The Zip women won a 10-team version of this invitational a year ago.

Fifteen colleges and universities comprise what is advertised as the second largest in-season invitational field in the country. Competitors from Ashland, Baldwin-Wallace, Buffalo, Cleveland State, Clarion, Duquesne, Illinois State, Mount Union, St. Bonaventure, Youngstown State, Wooster, Westminster, Xavier and Akron are set to invade the ONAT.

The women are coming off tough dual meet losses to Ivy foes Penn and Princeton. The Red hopes some out-of-league action will get them back on track. Junior diver Elizabeth Druy should be a factor after besting the Penn divers last weekend. Senior co-captain Shayne Geneva is another one to watch, posting the only swimming victory against Penn in the 200 breaststroke.

This is the last meet for the Red before winter break, where they head to Hawaii for training.

Archived article by Cammy Kandiko