Red Joins Tournament Circuit

It will be all about interval training for the wrestling team over winter break, as the grapplers will take on the nation’s best over a series of tournaments spaced between the holidays.

The first climb will take place in the Windy City, Chicago, IL for the Midlands Tournament over the weekend of Dec. 28-29.

“The Midlands is the toughest tournament of the year, if you place there you can place at nationals,” head coach Rob Koll said.

After New Year’s Day, Koll and his troops will travel down south for the Lone Star Duals in Dallas, Texas on Jan. 5.

Koll said that, “this is the first time that we have gone to the Lone Star Duals.”

This new addition to the schedule will give the Red a unique opportunity to face off against some opponents they rarely see outside of the National Championships.

“We wrestle Oklahoma and Nebraska, and if we are not on top of our game it could make for a long weekend,” Koll said.

The last hill to climb resides in Oswego, NY for the New York State Championships on Jan. 18-19.

“The New York States is a great final tune-up for the Ivy schedule,” Koll said. “The N.Y.S. will give our guys a lot of matches and our kids should fare well.”

The team has performed well thus far this season, but two individuals stood out in Koll’s praise: junior 141-lb. Byron Warner and senior tri-captain 184-lb. Clint Wattenberg. Warner was victorious at the Carolina Open. He also garnered a third-place finish at the Cornell Invitational and a fifth place finish at the Cliff Keen in Las Vegas, Nev. last weekend. These results have helped place Warner in the national scene.

The consistent Wattenberg and his results have Koll expecting that, “Clint will compete for a national title in March.”

This triumvirate of meets concludes the first semester, which Koll likens to “pre-season football.” He continued, “You always want to win, but defeat is not the end of the world.” Koll is confident that the absence of distractions such as class and schoolwork will allow his wrestlers to find that extra gear and perform better.

Archived article by Donald Lee