Study Session Planned by Society of Black Engineers

To help students study for finals, the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) is hosting all-day study-a-thon on Monday. Classrooms on the second floor of Olin Hall, as well as some on the first floor, have been reserved for group and quiet study so that students can work in a study-conducive environment.

The study-a-thon will last from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Monday and will also consist of a workshop, “How to Study for Finals,” that will be held at noon in 155 Olin Hall. Refreshments will be served.

Special meetings for classes such as Math 191, Calculus for Engineers, and Chemistry 207, General Chemistry, will be conducted throughout the day. Tutors will be available. All students are invited to attend.

“I think that it will turn out great,” Christopher Benyarko ’02, president of NSBE, said. “People will get a lot of feedback. People will meet other people in engineering.”

Other students are awaiting the chance to take advantage of the study options as well.

“I think that it will be good since there are varied ways to studying to meet everyone’s needs,” Khalilah Bey ’05 said. “I think that the group studying will be good since when we do our problem sets and study for prelims, we usually study by ourselves. They’re having it on Monday so that people won’t wait until the last moment to study.”

Students said they like having the opportunity to meet other students.

“It will help me to prepare for finals,” Anthony Suggs ’05 said. “It’s a good opportunity to meet with people I wouldn’t ordinarily meet in class.”

Other groups that are helping include the Engineering Student Council, the Society of Women Engineers, and Eta Kappa Nu, the Electrical and Computer Engineering Honor Society.

Members of the administration might make appearances to meet students as well. “We’ve also invited a lot of the administration to meet the students, to stop by,” Benyarko said. “I hope that a lot of diverse people come to the study-a-thon. There are a diverse group of tutors that can help a diverse group of students. Hopefully, the event will become an annual project for the engineering school.”

“It’s like an academic Slope Day,” Benyarko commented. “As people look forward to Slope Day, they will look forward to this [as an opportunity to receive help for their finals]. I hope that it becomes a tradition.”

Archived article by Kelly Samuels