Red Riders Make Quick Work of Stanford

This past Saturday, the men’s and women’s polo teams took on cross-continental rival Stanford University at home in the friendly confines of Oxley Equestrian Center. The match was the first of the spring semester for the Red, who had experienced great success this past fall with both teams. The women made the additional trip on yesterday afternoon to New Haven, CT to take on Yale.

In the men’s match, the Red was able to jump out to an early 7-0 lead with a strong first chukker. The men added an exceptional third chukker as well, being up by as many as 15 goals at one point to take the 20-9 victory against the Cardinal. The Red was able to hold on during poorly played second and fourth chukkers to earn the victory.

“They really performed very well during the first chukker, but the second and fourth chukkers were horrible,” head coach Dave Eldredge ’81 said.

“They got tired during the fourth [chukker], but overall I was very pleased,” Eldredge continued. “Both teams were rusty.”

In the women’s match, the Red put aside any concern that it may be tired from a long break, easily cruising to a 34-2 win.

The lady riders continued their season in the spring just as they had left it in the fall simply outplaying the Cardinal. The three Red starters only played the first two chukkers as three fresh players came in to finish out the second half to get each of the top-six players significant playing time.

Speaking of Stanford, Eldredge said, “They used to be a real powerhouse. They’re fairly young and they have some good possibilities. They seem to be the strong team in the West.”

Yesterday at Yale, the lady riders continued their winning ways, cruising to another easy victory, 24-2

The women look to be one of the top teams in the nation again. Their primary competition rests is Virginia, Colorado St., and possibly Texas A&M. The men are in a rebuilding year, and look to improve with each passing game; something which they seem to be accomplishing quite well.

Archived article by Matt Nassr