Tracksters Cruise to Home Victories

Loaded up on carbohydrates, the Cornell women’s track and field team hosted Pennsylvania, Colgate, NYU, and Ithaca College this past weekend in a five-team meet.

After a few hours of running and jumping so spectacular that not even their own coach, Lou Duesing, could have predicted their inspirational performance, the lady runners showed their competitors to their respective buses — but not before pummeling their opponents with 303 points — nearly twice point total of second place Pennsylvania.

The Red made its coach very pleased after a showing so sweet that the spectators, gathered closely around the track in Barton Hall this past Saturday, could almost taste it on the tip of their tongues.

Coach Duesing described his girls’ performance commenting, “They straight out dominated most of the events in the meet. I am very very happy with all the personal best efforts that I witnessed on Saturday.”

The coach did note, however, that Penn was without a couple of its best track and field performers, due to injuries.

He cautioned, “It’s still early on in the season and I don’t know if the race was indicative of future performance, but I can assure you that this race will leave a lasting impression on some of these schools and they won’t be looking foward to returning to Barton Hall later this season.”

The coach expects the high level of intimidation inspired by his tracksters to linger over the heads of the Penn runners, who are scheduled to return to Cornell later this season for a race that will determine which athletes represent the United States in a race at Oxford University later this spring.

Duesing explained, “I just want the girls to get what they rightfully deserve and have earned and not just be handed accolades as a result of any fluke or extenuating circumstances. I think with time they should be able to quite any critics.”

The team is still looking to fill in a couple of lingering weak spots. Despite the gaps, the squad has benefited from its depth having seen its veteran’s fine performances being complemented by up and coming freshman.

Coach Duesing exclaimed, “…Hannah Garraty and Katie Jay had a couple of oustanding outings. Hannah scored in the long jump, the sixty, and the sixty hurdles and Katie won the 60, 200, 400 yard dash in addition to running a leg on one of our first place relay teams.”

He was also very pleased with the efforts of sophomores IB Stanley and Kalifa Pilgrim, which he dubbed “college-best performances”.

The coach was dually pleased with Natalie Whelan’s “…second spectacular performace in two weeks”.

The coach emphasized, “As one would expect with any showing of this magnitude, there were a lot of people who did a lot of good things.”

“The team is fueled by a great spirit of comraderie and a fantastic work ethic…they meet fifteen minutes before every meet just to lead each other in cheers,” Duesing explained.

The men had an equally impressive showing this meeting, garnering seven first place finishes to go along with three IC4A qualifying performances.

Junior Quinton Carew had a stellar outing winning both the 60 and 200 dash.

As a team Cornell bested rivals Pennsylvania, Colgate and local foe Ithaca College. The Quakers — who finished the day with 201 points — were second best to the Red’s 284.

Senior tri-captain Jeremy Blanchet whose weight throw marked a school record was one of the three IC4A qualifiers. Rounding out the trio was Junior Brett Coffing and classmate Dan Dombrowski.

Archived article by Sun Staff