First S.A. Meeting Addresses Hazing, Alcohol

The Student Assembly began the spring semester with its first meeting of 2002 yesterday.

Following the announcement of the closing of the Cornell chapter of Pi Kappa Phi, the assembly addressed the Task Force on Hazing established by President Hunter R. Rawlings III. S.A. President Uzo Asonye ’02 announced that the Administration is looking for an S.A. member to work with University officials and “confirm that appropriate policies are in place about hazing.”

The Slope Dilemma

The assembly also discussed what new policies involving students and alcohol would be in place for Slope Day.

The Slope Day steering committee met on Jan. 21 and reported on what recommendations had been made by students and administrators.

Assembly Executive Vice President Mark Greenbaum ’02 addressed the problem that, “many students will be reluctant to have change” in planning new activities. He proposed the idea of only, “allowing those 21 years of age or seniors to be able to carry softer drinks” or possibly utilizing University catering on Libe Slope.

“Our biggest concern is about pre-parties at fraternities and sororities,” Greenbaum said. Many ideas were brought up to address the issue, including having houses get together on campus.

In the Air

“There are a lot of good ideas circulating,” said Kent Hubbell, dean of students. Hubbell proposed having class parties the morning of Slope Day as an alternative to celebrate the last day of classes and of also hosting two information sessions in early February for the entire University to discuss recommendations.

Next, the Assembly approved a proposal by the Student Assembly Finance Commission (SAFC) to make the process of hosting speakers by various groups at Cornell easier. They approved a decision to change the required letter of intent to a more convenient e-mail proof of contact letter than the previous method.

A motion to provide funds from the Student Assembly special projects fund was passed to aid CUTonight, a planning commission for different late night activities at Cornell.

Renaissance, which is in charge of CUTonight, requested an emergency allocation in order to begin the process of sending out applications and getting started as soon as possible for next fall.

Archived article by Mackenzie Damon