M. Squash Takes Two

According to junior captain Jeff Porter, the men’s squash team was looking to “gain confidence and prepare itself for the upcoming National Championships” when it matched up against Hobart Friday evening and hosted Navy yesterday morning.

Mission Accomplished.

Not only did the Red maintain its ranking at seventh in the nation — likely placing it in the A-Bracket at the National Intercollegiate Squash Racquets Association Championships in two weeks — it also soundly defeated both opponents, dismissing any doubts that this team is ready to compete for a national title. The Red was victorious in Geneva on Friday, defeating the Statesmen 9-0.

With wins in the top-three seeded positions by juniors Tim Nagel and Neal Soo and senior Darryl Chow, Cornell had little trouble outscoring Hobart before welcoming Navy on Sunday morning. With a solid victory behind them, the winning continued, as the Red outscored the Midshipmen 7-2 at the Belkin International Squash Courts.

More importantly, the Red finished the weekend with an abundance of confidence heading into the NISRA Championships beginning Feb. 21.

“The two wins this weekend have given us a lot of confidence and have created momentum for us to enter the Championships in two weeks,” said senior Chad Burkhardt.

With one mission accomplished, the Red has quickly set out to achieve its next.

Finishing sixth in the nation last season, Cornell hopes to finish a notch above this year.

“We’re looking to break into the top five this season and this past weekend has showed us that we are up for the challenge,” Burkhardt finished.

Archived article by Amy Sharenko