Pair of Cornellians Headed to Olympics

Sibling rivalry. Anyone with a brother, sister, or lucky enough to have both, understands the term quite well. It is the innate sense of competitiveness that inhibits our ability to think and act rationally the instant two things are mentioned: a sibling and a number.

Be it the SATs or a new school record in RBIs; if your big brother or sister performed well, one thing is for certain — you are going to perform better. In the case of junior Hannah Hardaway and freshman Travis Mayer, following in the footsteps of their older siblings set them on a journey with a unique destination. The Olympics.

In an interview with the Cornell News Service, Hardaway discussed how the desire “to be like (her) older brother,” led her to join the Killington ski team when she was just twelve. Teammate Mayer made his first ride down the mountain at age three in the shadows of his older brothers and Cornell alumni, Eric and Garrett, will once again be competing on the same team next week. Trading in their red and white for a similar uniform with a hint of blue, the duo will represent not Cornell, but Team USA when they strive for gold at the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. The two have both secured a spot on the eight-person moguls squad, comprised of four men and four women.

Hardaway, 23, confirmed her place on the US squad when she took second place at the Gateway Freestyle Challenge in Lake Placid, N.Y. on January 20. At age 23, she already has an impressive resum