Subterranean Style

Do seasons really exist in Ithaca? Or is Ithaca a strange, ubiquitous realm in which all seasons exist simultaneously? The calender may say February, but it’s fifty-five degrees and sunny one day and twelve degrees and sleeting the next. Disorienting as the case may be, under the calendric circumstances it is in no way permissible to walk around in the following apparel items until April 1st: flip-flops, open-toed shoes, skirts without heavy hosiery, short-sleeve t-shirts without a jacket or sweater, shorts, capris, clam-diggers, tank tops, or any other warm weather item. Yes, it may be warm, but fifty degree weather does not predicate the near onslaught of summer… in February.

Ladies, try to ward off the impulse to dip into the new spring wardrobe reserves you’ve been accumulating post-Holiday sales. Guys, try to ward off what seems to be the innately male impulse to wear shorts, t-shirts and throw frisbees over the semi-frozen ground of the Arts quad. Yes, the winter seems to prolong itself for a torturous amount of time here in the middle of New York state. But, the fact remains that it is winter and it has been known to be warm and sunny in the morning and blizzard conditions by afternoon. So for your own sake and in the name of common sense and style, save baring the skin for spring.

Name Orlando Soria

Class 2004

College Architecture/Arts

Major Fine Art and Government

What one word describes your style?

Futuristic.

Who or what do you look to for personal inspiration?

The way I choose my clothes is like the way I make art. It’s a very aesthetic decision. I choose things that I think are nicely designed. I guess design is the major thing.

What’s your major source for style?

I tend to shop at Dolce & Gabbana and Diesel.

What’s hot?

I really like brown, and vintage aviator sunglasses.

What’s not?

I hate leather jackets.

Name Monika Sarac

Class 2003

College Architecture

major Architecture

What one word describes your style?

Bohemian.

People who don’t follow trends. I admire people on campus who have their own style, especially Architecture and Arts students.

What’s your major source for style?

I like second-hand stuff and out-of-the-way stores that aren’t mainstream. I also am influenced by Eastern and Middle Eastern styles. I’m from Croatia so I look to the East more than the West.

What’s hot?

Whatever accentuates your best features.

What’s not?

Skin baring.

Archived article by