W. Hockey Defends Lynah

The women’s hockey team (5-15-1, 4-7-1 ECAC) looks to continue its solid play this weekend when it faces Dartmouth (16-4-2, 8-2-0) and Vermont (1-24-1, 0-12-0) at Lynah Rink.

Cornell has been playing very well the past two weeks. After avenging an earlier loss to Harvard with a 4-2 win in Cambridge, the Red skated to a 2-2 tie with No. 9 Brown in Providence. The Bears and the Crimson each defeated Cornell 5-0 in the Red’s first two games of the season back on Nov. 3 and 4.

Last Saturday, senior Jenel Bode netted her first career hat trick and added two assists in the 7-3 trouncing of the Yale Bulldogs. Freshman Jamie Ramenofsky scored the first point of her Cornell career on an assist to Bode in the opening period, and senior Sarah Olivier played an outstanding game, tallying two goals.

The win over Yale boosted the Red women’s spirits following a heartbreaking 4-3 loss to Princeton last Friday. In the final two periods, the Red matched the Tigers goal for goal. Sophomore Anita Khar scored with 3:10 remaining to pull Cornell within one, but the Red couldn’t put another shot past Tiger goalie Megan Van Beusekom, and Princeton held on for the victory.

Cornell finished its four game ECAC-Northern Division road trip 2-1-1, which is promising for the Red, having played the first, second fifth, and seventh-ranked teams in the league.

Tonight, Cornell will host Dartmouth. The Green got the better of the Red when they met in Hanover on Jan. 12. The Red lost 6-1, despite 37 saves by junior goaltender Sanya Sandahl. Cornell could not get anything going on offense and mustered only 23 shots on goal compared to Dartmouth’s 43.

In the second game of the weekend, the Red looks to defeat the Vermont Catamounts for the second time this season. The lady icers won 5-0 in Burlington on Jan. 11, thanks to 56 shots on goal and a shutout by junior goalie Liz Connelly. The Red disposed of the last-place Catamounts with ease, and look to do the same this time around.

Vermont is having a difficult season this year, having scored only nine goals in 26 games. Its opponents have scored a combined 113 goals. Both Vermont netminders have goals against averages over four. Its power play has been anemic this season, scoring just 1.2% of the time. Meanwhile, its penalty killing unit has allowed opponents to score on 28.4% of their chances.

Archived article by Matt Schwartz