Women Squashers Take Eighth

This weekend, the women’s squash team placed eighth at the coveted Howe Cup at Yale University, squash’s National Championship. The Red grabbed the last position of the A Division. Meanwhile, Trinity College took the top spot at the three day competition, followed by Harvard, last year’s winner, Yale, and Princeton.

In Friday’s match, the Red took on the No.1 ranked and eventual winner, Trinity, and lost 9-0. Seeds one through nine all lost their matches 3-0.

Of the match, senior co-captain Andrea McNeely admitted that the team understood the feat it was undertaking by playing the top seed first. Yet, despite the difficult opponent, the team remained optimistic.

“I don’t think we were discouraged. We kept our spirits up,” explained McNeely.

After the team’s rough performance, it was able to turn around and take one match away from Dartmouth, which placed fifth. Junior Olga Puigdemont-Sola finished strongly with a 3-0 win over Sarah West to earn the team’s sole victory.

In the team’s final match of the tournament, the Red took on Brown Sunday and grabbed two matches away from the Bears. Puigdemont-Sola was once again victorious at the No. 1 spot, ending with a 3-0 finish. McNeely also won her match in the third position by a 3-1 margin.

McNeely was proud of the team’s play against Brown stating, “I think our performance was better. We played better as a team.”

Although unable to muster a team win, individually Puigdemont-Sola was awarded with the Ann Wetzel Trophy. This honor is bestowed upon the one player, from all twenty-eight teams, for best overall performance.

Cornell, whch ranked as high as fifth earlier in the season, finished the year in the eighth position.

Of the season, McNeely enthusiastically stated, “It has been one of the funnest seasons ever. There was a lot of team spirit. I’m really proud for the girls.”

Next up for members of the Red is the 2002 WISA Individual Championship. This Individual National Championship, which is determined by individual season ranking as well as team standing, will take place at Princeton from March 1-3. Puigdemont-Sola, a selection to the All-Tournament team last year, will be looking to once again make an impact at the games as will teammate and co-captain Melinda Lee.

Archived article by Kristen Haunss