W. Lax Faces Stanford

The women’s lacrosse team opens its 2002 campaign tomorrow, when it travels to Palo Alto, Calif., to take on Stanford. The No. 11 Red opens the season hoping to improve upon last year’s 11-4 record, which was good enough for third place in the Ivy League and a first-ever bid to the NCAA tournament.

“We’re really excited for what the future holds in 2002,” said head coach Jenny Graap ’86.

The lady laxers begin the season against a Cardinal team (2-1, 2-0 MPLL)that has given them little trouble in the past. In last year’s game at Schoellkopf Field, the Red dispatched Stanford, 15-5. Cornell has defeated Stanford each of the last three years.

“If we can execute and play well, we won’t have to worry about the win or the loss, because the win will come,” said Graap.

Stanford made waves last year by successfully recruiting top prospect Kelsey Twist, a freshman from lacrosse hotbed Baltimore, to the West Coast.

“It shows that Stanford’s starting to pull the best talent from the east,” remarked Graap, “I think that’s going to change things significantly.”

But Carrie Giancola, Jamiee Reynolds and co., enter tomorrow’s match-up confidently, prepared to open the regular season strongly. In last week’s scrimmage against No. 2 Duke, the Red handled the Blue Devils 13-4, giving the team an indication of just how much it might be able to achieve this season. After traveling to New Jersey to battle Rutgers next week, the Red begins Ivy League play in its home opener against Columbia on Mar. 15.

Archived article by