Gymnasts Set Team Record

The women’s gymnastics team lost a close meet to Rutgers this weekend at Teagle Gymnasium, 191.375-190.450. Despite the loss, the tumblers were able to set a new team-record in the final home meet for seniors Laura DeForest, Cassandre Joseph, Mandy Keen, and Andrea Park. While no school records were broken in any single event, all the individual scores were extremely high, which enabled the Red to score above 190.

“Knowing we could have picked up another point [to win the meet] was a little disappointing,” remarked head coach Paul Beckwith, who was nonetheless pleased by the team’s record breaking score.

Freshmen Shellen Goltz and Larissa Calka finished second and third, respectively, in the all-around. The Red’s top event of the meet was the floor exercise, in which the tumblers were able to tie the Scarlet Knights with a score of 48.525. Three exhibitioners competed in the floor exercise for the Red as well, and their scores were higher than some that Rutgers posted in the meet. Beckwith was extremely pleased with the team’s performance in the event, and is considering some lineup changes for the next meet.

The tumblers had a lot of momentum coming off their first-place showing at the Ivy Invitational last weekend, but they could not maintain their previous level of intensity versus injury-plagued Rutgers. Next weekend, the Red travels to Burlington to face Vermont.

“I am looking for another big school-record next weekend. I think that we can stay above 190 for the rest of the season,” commented Beckwith.

Strong showings at the next two meets will enable the tumblers to move into third place heading into the ECAC championships on Mar. 23.

Archived article by