Unbeaten Softball Team Makes Visit to Drexel

Why mess with success? After a perfect showing at the Dixie Classic in Virginia Beach, Va. last weekend, the women’s softball team isn’t looking to change much this weekend when it travels to the City of Brotherly Love to match up against Drexel University. Cornell posted four victories at the tournament, outscoring their opponents 27-5. With wins over Norfolk, James Madison, and two victories against the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, last weekend, sticking to what works only seems logical.

“When we travel to Florida over spring break, we will have 14 games to experiment with our strategies and the lineup, but this weekend, we will go with what worked for us at the tournament,” head coach Dick Blood said.

Cornell looks for its hard work in the preseason to continue paying off when it faces the Dragons on Drexel Field.

Drexel was handed a 12-2 loss by Princeton this past Saturday. The game ended after just five innings due to the 10-run lead rule. While Drexel (1-8) does not boast an impressive win-loss record at the moment, according to Blood, they are not a team to be taken lightly.

“Four of their eight losses have been one-run ball games, and they have averaged eight and a half hits per game over those last eight games. They are a strong squad that will be looking for a win this weekend,” Blood added. “[It’s] a very solid team.”

Homecoming

While the trip to Philadelphia will be a four-hour drive to an unknown city for the majority of the team, for sophomore pitcher Nicole LePera, it will be a trip home. LePera is a graduate of Mount Saint Joseph’s Academy, located in Philadelphia.

Archived article by Amy Sharenko