Softball Stays Perfect in Philly

With nerves out of the way, the women’s softball team (6-0) looked to its younger players to post some runs in its two game sweep against Drexel University. The Red held Drexel run-less in its two victories in Philadelphia this past weekend, 4-0 and 4-0.

Cornell relied heavily on its younger players as it outscored the Dragons in a two game series on Drexel field. Impressive in both games, freshman Lauren May had two solo home runs, a run batted in, and was batted in by a teammate, tallying four of the teams combined eight runs of the weekend.

In game two, May went three for three at bat.

With all but one of its eight runs scored by under-classmen, May was not th only young player that contributed to the team’s two victories.

Sophomore Erin Sweeny contributed two runs, including a solo home run, while fellow sophomore Kate Varde batted a teammate in and posted a run for the Red. Classmate Melissa Cannon also had a homerun for the Red in game two, and senior Kristen Hricenak tallied a run for Cornell in its second victory.

With a talented and capable group of underclassmen, Cornell realized the value of their depth this past weekend.

“Every player on this team has an important role, and this weekend the underclassmen fulfilled their roles,”said head coach Dick Blood. “Our depth gives us our strength.”

The Red now looks to continue its perfect season when it heads to Florida over spring break.

Archived article by Kristen Haunss