Red Tumblers Drop Vermont

After setting a team record a week ago against Rutgers, the women’s gymnastics team bested its previous score in a victory over Vermont, 190.800 to 185.825 in Burlington on Sunday. Freshman Larissa Calka earned a score of 9.825 on the balance beam, tying the school record set last season by Shannon Weiman. With the win, the team improves to 3-1 in dual match competition.

“We set the bar high enough,” remarked head coach Paul Beckwith. “I don’t want to score below a 190 for the rest of the year.”

The tumblers had strong performances in the vault, setting a new team record. Sophomore Denise Hurd led the way in that event for the Red with a score of 9.650. In the uneven bars, the team’s strongest event, freshman Meghan Miller placed first with a score of 9.800, with the Red taking the top four out of five finishes in the event. The tumblers did not fare as well in the floor exercise, as freshman Shellen Goltz and Hurd tied for fifth place.

The team is expecting a closer match this weekend when it travels to Philadelphia to face Temple. The Red is currently ranked one spot above the Owls in the North Eastern region. Earlier this season, the tumblers placed above Temple at the George Washington Invitational in January, while the Owls finished above the Red at the New Hampshire Invitational in February.

On March 23, Cornell will compete in the ECAC championships at William and Mary. The Red is currently ranked third in the conference.

“We’ve never gone in higher than sixth. It feels pretty darn good,” commented Beckwith. “Even if someone is ranked ahead of us, it all depends on what happens that day.”

Archived article by Jonathan Auerbach