Lake Placid Bound Red Climbs to No. 8

As the postseason began around the college hockey ranks, Cornell moved up one spot to an eighth-place ranking in Monday’s USCHO.com poll. This step up comes after the Red swept Yale 2-1, 4-2 in the quarterfinals of the ECAC playoffs.

Partly due to help from Michigan, which dropped a game to CCHA doormat Lake Superior St. in its opening game of the CCHA tournament, the Red was able to jump ahead of the Wolverines. Michigan fell from No. 6 to No. 9.

There was little adjustment otherwise as there were no upsets in any of the first rounds of the conference tournaments. The top five teams all held on to their seedings from the previous week. No. 1 New Hampshire elicited the majority of first-place votes with 27. The Wildcats swept Merrimack in the HEA tournament.

WCHA regular season champion Denver was listed in second-place and had 10 first-place votes. No. 3 Minnesota was the final team to get a first-place vote with three. St. Cloud and Michigan St. stayed in fourth and fifth place, respectively.

Boston University jumped up two spots to sixth after winning its series against Providence. Maine remained in seventh with its sweep of last year’s NCAA champs, Boston College.

Represented

The ECAC was better represented than it has been in recent weeks. Rensselaer cracked into the top 15. The No. 14 Engineers, the fifth-seed in the conference barely got home-ice but swept Princeton. Clarkson just missed a top-15 ranking with 22 votes. Dartmouth had a single vote.

Rounding out the rest of the poll are No. 10 Colorado College, No. 11 Northern Michigan, No. 12 UMass-Lowell, all of whom had the same ranking last week. Ohio State moved up to claim the 15th place.

Archived article by Sun Staff