Track to Defend Titles in Calif.

Like many Cornell students, the track team is excited about spring break and looks forward to escaping Ithaca’s winter weather for a week. Cornell will travel westward, to sunny California. However, the Red won’t be catching up on its summer tan. Upon arrival, Cornell will be practicing twice a day and will compete in two meets in 10 days. The first stop will be the College Classic at Long Beach State on March 16, which is a national meet where teams from the Mountain region and California compete.

The second meet will be the Irvine Invitational at the University of California, which will begin March 23. Last year, Cornell won both the Long Beach Classic and the Irvine Invitational.

The California trip is a great opportunity for the Red to train in good weather and have some good performances early in the season.

“Everyone is excited. It’s great to travel where it’s warmer to train,” claimed senior runner Dan Meehan.

Unfortunately, not every athlete on the 70-man roster can travel to California with the team. Only 27 were permitted to participate this spring.

“Deciding who on the team goes is a difficult process because we have so many talented athletes.” said sophomore discus thrower Vidier Lecorps.

Archived article by Joe Licitra