Rawlings Stuns Campus, Becomes Oriole Pitcher

It looks like President Hunter Rawlings’s unexpected resignation from the top position at the university wasn’t for the purpose of getting into teaching full-time after all.

Inspired by the new movie The Rookie, Rawlings announced Saturday afternoon that he would give his pro baseball career another shot.

“It’s been an itch that I’ve been aching to scratch for the longest time,” stated Rawlings. “After seeing the story of Jim Morris, who went from being a high school physics teacher to a Major League pitcher, I see no reason why I can’t accomplish a similar feat.”

Rawlings, who was offered a contract by the Baltimore Orioles’ organization when he graduated from Haverford College in 1966, would not be the oldest pitcher ever — Satchel Paige threw three innings for the Kansas City A’s in 1965 at age 58. However, at 57 years old, Rawlings would be the oldest rookie in baseball history.

“I see pitchers like Randy Johnson, who has the same build as I do, achieving great success in today’s game,” noted Rawlings.

Rawlings mentioned that the traffic radar gun on Triphammer Rd. clocked his fastball at 89 mph.

“I’m sure that a few weeks with [Baltimore pitching coach Mark] Wiley will help me get the heater up to the mid-90s, though,” confided Rawlings.

The Orioles are certainly in need of pitching help. The team ranked tenth in ERA in the American League last season and featured just one 10-game winner, Jason Johnson.

“We’re happy to have Hunter aboard,” said Orioles manager Mike Hargrove. “Lord knows we need the help. Our rotation is a disaster.”

EDITOR’S NOTE: April Fools! We got you this time. This story is not real.

Archived article by Sports