Golfers Finish 17th at Drew Upton Classic

The Cornell golf squad had its first match of the spring season this past weekend at the Drew Upton Memorial Golf Classic at Towson University. The Red finished 17th overall out of 21 squads at the tournament. Loyola won the competition, edging out Navy by only two strokes.

“The results don’t say everything,” said senior co-captain Dave Nayak. “We had a strong tournament, considering this was only our first day.”

With Columbia University finishing in the ninth slot at the Upton Classic, Cornell got its first glimpse of Ivy League competition. Despite the apparent disparity in placing, Cornell fell to Columbia by only 17 strokes overall.

“We felt we kept pace with Columbia,” said Nayak. “This just shows that we should be competitive in the upcoming Ivy Tournament.”

Despite its low finish in the team standings, the Red had several individual triumphs. Sophomore Matt Rymer led the Red, shooting a 148, which was good for 22nd place in the individual category. Nayak shot a 154, which put him in a respectable 47th individually.

“Matt and I played well,” Nayak said. “We’re both really competitive and I think we’ll do well [in upcoming matches].”

The golfers head to Lafayette on April 13th for their next tournament.

“It’ll be our first time heading to Lafayette,” Nayak noted. “There should be lots of tough teams.”

After its preparation at Towson, however, the Red should be ready.

Archived article by Michael Pandolfini