Track Squads Head

The track and field team will travel to Philadelphia this weekend to compete in the Quaker Invitational.

Both the men and the women will look to continue their early season success.

The men began the season by placing third at the Long Beach Classic and first at the Irvine Invitational.

Lady Tracksters

The women took second at Long Beach and also placed first at Irvine.

However, the Quaker Invitational will be larger than Cornell’s first two meets and will give the team a chance to test its efforts against stiffer competition.

“Things have gone very well up to this point,” stated women’s head coach Lou Duesing. “We like the direction things are going, so we’re looking forward to running again. Every event is likely to have good competition in it. We’ve responded well to that so far.”

The Quaker Invitational comes after a week off from competition. Both teams took advantage of the free time and hit the track to work on all of their events.

Men’s coach Nathan Taylor knows that it was time well spent.

“We didn’t have a meet last weekend and that allowed us to get in some pretty hard training,” Taylor said. “Every meet is a new story, and every week we are looking to improve. There are a lot of events that haven’t performed up to their capabilities so far. This is an opportunity for them to prove what they can do.”

Qualifying

As they head to Philadelphia, team members will have the added motivation of trying to qualify for the Sea-Ray Relays.

Only the best performers will make the trip to Knoxville next week, while the rest of the team will head to New York for the Columbia Invitational.

The season is early so the team is not taking any chances with injuries.

Sitting Out

A few athletes will sit out this weekend so that they can be ready for important meets in the upcoming weeks.

Such as the Heptagonal championships down the road.

“Hopefully, we can get everyone back healthy and in good shape. We look at the meets like quizzes and the Heps as the final exam. We want to get better as the year goes on.”

Archived article by Adam Matthews