Red Splits Twin Bill With Bonnies

Returning home for the first time in three weeks, the softball team split a doubleheader against St. Bonaventure today, winning the first game 8-0, before relinquishing the second game by a score of 5-0. The Red is currently 20-16, entering a weekend full of Ivy League competition with match ups against both Dartmouth and Harvard.

It took the Red just five innings to secure a win in game one, with an impressive performance from the mound by sophomore Sarah Sterman. Perfect through the first three innings, Sterman allowed just three hits, securing Cornell’s shutout while earning her 12th victory of the year.

“She had an amazing performance,” senior co-captain Annette Sheppard said. “She was hitting all of her spots.”

Cornell’s offense got going in the bottom of the first. Sophomore Kate Varde drew a first inning walk, and classmate Leah deRiel followed with a high shot over the left-center fence, giving the Red an early 2-0 lead. In the second, sophomore Melissa Cannon hit a two-run single up the center, bringing home senior co-captains Sheppard and Christina Trout.

The Red struck once again in the third inning on run scoring hits by Trout and sophomore Erin Sweeney. After senior Kristen Hricenak advanced deRiel on a sacrifice bunt, Trout knocked in deRiel with a single to left field. She later scored on a two-RBI single from teammate Erin Sweeney.

The Red once again had trouble in the second half of a double dip. In game two, Bonnies