Four Cornell Students Win Goldwater Scholarships

Academic excellence took shape of honorable reward for four Cornellians who won Barry M. Goldwater scholarships.

This year’s winners are Peter M. Clark ’04, majoring in biology, chemistry and mathematics, Matthew Moake ’04, majoring in biology and Adam Berman ’03, majoring in physics, and Yolanda Tseng ’03, majoring in biological engineering.

“The Goldwater Foundation is a federally endowed agency established in 1986,” according to a press release from the foundation. “The Scholarship Program honoring Senator Barry M. Goldwater was designed to foster and encourage outstanding students to pursue careers in the fields of mathematics, the natural sciences and engineering.”

“In order to qualify for the Goldwater Scholarship, each student had to fill out an application that asked about his plans for the future as well as what motivated him to study science and what type of research he would like to do as a scientist,” Clark said.

The four Cornell Goldwater Scholars were among the 309 winners who were, “selected on the basis of academic merit from a field of 1,155 mathematics, science and engineering students and were nominated by the faculties of colleges and universities nationwide,” according to the Goldwater press release. “The one and two year scholarships will cover the cost of tuition, fees, books and room and board up to a maximum of $7,500 per year.”

“The selection process for the Goldwater Scholarship was highly competitive and winning it was an unexpected honor,” Clark said. “I attribute much of my success to my parents as well as the outstanding professors and teaching assistants I have had while at Cornell.”

According to Cornell News Service, “Since 1992, 29 Cornell undergraduates have won Goldwater scholarships. This is the seventh year in a row that the University has had three or more Goldwater winners.”

Last year, three Cornell Students won the scholarship.

“The response I got from the Cornell community was overwhelming. I received person congratulations from deans, professors and students alike.” Clark said.

Outside support encouraging for other winners as well.

“If I were to mention one factor that put me in the position to receive this award, it would have to be the motivation from my peers whose love for science and competitiveness have pushed me to reach closer to my potential,” Berman said.

For Tseng, outside support also played an important role, “I could not have received this scholarship without the support of my professors, friends and parents. Receiving the Goldwater has been an overwhelming honor for me and has reaffirmed my intentions to pursue a career in scientific research,” Tseng said.

Moake, was equally as honored by the award, “I consider this award a recognition of both my research and academic success thus far and I believe that it will do nothing but benefit me as I further my education and career.”

Archived article by Veronika Belenkaya