Lightweight Crew Sweeps Race

On Saturday the men’s and women’s crews posted an amalgamation of wins and near losses.

The lightweights emerged as the weekend’s heroes, sweeping its races against Columbia, MIT and Ithaca College.

The first varsity pulled its way to a time of 6:18.9, good enough to beat runner-up Columbia by a 3.5 second margin.

The race results for the second and third varsities differed greatly. While the second varsity crew enjoyed an easy victory, the third varsity was only able to pull ahead of Ithaca College in the final strokes of the race.

The men will continue to enjoy the spoils of their victory as they head into next week’s races against Dartmouth.

“Our performance this weekend left us on a positive note and gave us some excitement to finish up the next three weeks with,” said senior Chris Cotronei.

The women’s crew experienced slightly less success on the water, but the day still yielded several strong performances.

The first and second varsities both fell to Brown with times of 7:10.9 and 7:17.0, respectively.

The standout group from this weekend was the undefeated varsity four boat, which continued its streak by beating Dunn Bowl competitors Brown (8:11.1) and Columbia (8:52) with a time of 8:06.1.

“The four race went really well,” said senior Kim Whitman. “We’re looking forward to meddling at Sprints. Defeating Brown was a big step towards that goal,” she added.

The heavyweight men faced minor setbacks on the water this Saturday as they raced Princeton, Yale, and last-minute entrant Navy in the Carnegie Cup.

The heavyweight men’s varsity boat suffered its first defeat at the hands of host Princeton. The boat finished in 5:50.2, just .5 seconds of the winning time.

“It’s the best finish we’ve had against Princeton in a very long time. The coach was really happy with our speed,” commented senior James Stangeland. “We’re hoping to take them at Sprints,” he added.

The second and third varsities fared much better, each edging out a rival Princeton boat to claim a first place finish.

Next week the heavies will try to get back on top as they head to New Jersey to face Rutgers.

Archived article by Meredith Long