Seven Recruits Join Men's Hockey Team

With seven new recruits set to join the 21 returning veterans on the men’s hockey squad, things are looking up for the Lynah Faithful. Five forwards, a defenseman, and a goalie make up the freshman class that looks to make immediate contributions for the Red.

Leading the group are forwards Shane Hynes and Matt Moulson, who scored 74 and 102 points, respectively, in junior hockey last year.

A top prospect, Hynes was ranked among the top 100 prospects by the NHL’s Central Scouting Service in mid-season rankings. Hynes (6-3, 205) played for the former team of junior forward Greg Hornby and sophomore goaltender David LeNeveu, the Nanaimo Clippers. He shined with 38 goals and 36 assists in 50 games, leading the Clippers to the BCHL Coastal Conference championships for the first time in nine years.

Moulson (6-1, 185) played junior hockey in the MWJHL for the Guelph Dominators and was chosen as the league’s co-MVP. Moulson finished the season with 56 goals and 46 assists in only 42 games. Six of the 56 goals were game-winners, and he set a team record for power-play goals with 28.

Also in the freshman class are twin brothers, forwards Cam and Chris Abbott, who led the Sarnia Blast (WJHL) to the league championship title after combining for 138 points in the 51 game regular season.

Forward Daniel Pegoraro, who made an OPJHL all-star team, and was in the top 10 in scoring in the Southern Division comes to the Red from Toronto.

The lone defenseman to join the Big Red, Jon Gleed (6-2, 200), was also a league all-star in the OPJHL, and his Brampton Capitals, former team of seniors Matt and Mark McRae, went on to win the OPJHL championship title.

Freshman netminder Louis Chabot will back up sophomore David LeNeveu after putting up a 2.43 GAA (good enough for third in the MJHL) and a record of 25-2 with three shutouts.

It should be an exciting year for the Red, who looks to follow up the successes of last year by competing for both ECAC and NCAA titles. Cornell will open up the regular season at home with an Nov. 1 game against Ohio St.

Archived article by Matt Nassr