Averson Named to U.S. Developmental Squad

On Aug. 3-4, Sarah Averson participated with 86 other players at tryouts for the United States women’s lacrosse Development Team. The senior attacker dazzled the coaches with her phenomenal power being named one of 22 others selected to the team and one of four collegiate players to play on the squad.

Stepping Stone

The US Developmental program is a feeder program to the US Elite team, which is the highest level of women’s lacrosse in the country — given that lacrosse is not an olympic sport — according to Cornell women’s lacrosse head coach, Jenny Graap. The U.S. Elite team holds the title as the defending World Cup Champions.

The team will practice against the Women’s Elite national team, play exhibition scrimmages against university teams and promote U.S. Lacrosse Women’s Division National Clinic month activities in February 2003. She is looking forward to the feedback she will receive from practicing with national team coaches as well as valuable experience gained by playing with other exceptional laxers from across the nation.

Pleasant Surprise

Averson said that being selected was, “A very, very nice surprise, and it is something that I have wanted for as long as I can remember, which is to practice and learn from the best.”

On the field, Averson’s power is explosive and Graap describes her as a natural scorer. Averson was one of the youngest members selected to an otherwise veteran team. According to Graap, the fact that she “Is one of the best attackers in the Ivy League and in the nation,” contributed to why she was recognized by the team.

Loaded Schedule

Averson will be balancing several weekend practices in Richmond, Va. for the development team along with her Cornell practice commitments, a work load that she is anticipating. She feels that the extra workouts will help her learn and grow as a player as well as contribute to the 2003 season.

Looking back at last season, Averson scored 43 points, contributing to the teams’ 16-2 record. She scored at least one point in 16 of the games and had 28 draw controls. Averson was named to the second-team All-America list and was named to the All-Ivy first-team.

Red Success

Averson along with other talented teammates such as Jaimee Reynolds ’02 contributed to last year’s record-breaking season, setting the mark for most wins in a season, highest winning percentage (88.9 percent), most consecutive wins (11), most consecutive home wins (12), and Ivy victories (6). Averson hopes that her time on the U.S. Development Team will contribute to this season’s success, as well.

Graap predicts that Averson will contribute her fire and talent to the 2003 season adding, “There’s no doubt Averson has a special gift and we’re very lucky to have her playing for Cornell.”

Archived article by Alexis Munoz