Sprint Football Opens at Home Against Tigers

Who says bigger is better?

After the sprint football team kicked off its season with a 17-3 loss to Penn in Philadelphia, it looks to reverse its fortunes against Princeton tonight at Schoellkopf Field.

The game was “a little disappointing overall, but we showed some signs that we could have a good season ahead of us. We played good defense and special teams. We just need to work on some more consistent offense,” explained head coach Terry Cullen.

For the next game the team will most likely run their offense from a shotgun position after 5-5 quarterback Charlie Tam struggled to see and throw over the offensive line in the last game.

On a more positive note, senior linebacker Eric Eisenhart contributed with 18 tackles and a sack against the Quakers, and seniors Jay Sackett and Jake Fama had “really strong games on the defensive line,” according to Cullen.

Senior Trey Younger also put the only three points on the board for the Red with a 28-yard field goal.

Princeton only had three graduating seniors on last year’s team and they should be strong as ever this season with “a very deep freshman class with a lot of potential talent,” assured Cullen.

There are only five sprint football teams in the Red’s conference, and Princeton is always a big Ivy League rival. The last two matchups between Cornell and Princeton have been close, hard-fought battles, and tonight should be no different.

Archived article by Adam Zwecker