W. Hockey Ranked Sixth in ECAC Poll

In the recently released ECAC preseason rankings, the coaches placed the women’s hockey team sixth in the competitive conference. The Red battled its way to a 9-18-1 record overall last year and will look to improve on its late season success last year in 2003.

The lady icers have already chosen their captain — senior standout Brooke Bestwick — and her alternates, classmate Erin Ellis and junior Briana Jenter. The team will open its season at Yale on November 8.

Harvard topped the rankings, earning six first-place votes and 62 overall. The Crimson returns four Olympians from last year’s squad and was recently ranked third nationally in USCHO.com’s preseason poll. Harvard was 18-11-3 overall last season.

Dartmouth garnered the only remaining first place votes (2) in the ECAC rankings and received 57 nods overall. The Green was also ranked nationally (4th) by USHCO.com along with Brown (5th), St. Lawrence (7th) and Princeton (10). Brown was also next in line in the ECAC rankings with 51 votes. In further agreement with the national rankings, the ECAC’s top five slots were filled out by St. Lawrence (44) and Princeton (38).

Cornell received a total of 29 votes this year, followed by Colgate (19), Yale (18), and Vermont (8).

With five of the top ten national slots going to ECAC schools, the conference continues a tradition of being one of the most competitive conferences in the nation.

Archived article by Sun Staff