F. Hockey Wins Fifth Straight, Ties School Record

With a 2-1 thwarting of Colgate — its record-tying fifth straight victory — the women’s field hockey team kept its winning streak alive last night. The road victory brought the Red to 6-2 (2-0 Ivy).

Sophomore Sara Weiner and senior captain Sarah Nordstrom notched the goals for Cornell to extend its solid play.

The Red had a fantastic first half, dominating every aspect of the field. Both Cornell goals were tallied in the first half, coming on 11 shots for the Red. Defensively, they were just as impressive, holding Colgate to one shot in the first 35 minutes.

At 14:36, Weiner drew first blood, finding the back of the net on an assist from junior Carissa Mirasol. Continuing her outstanding play, the assist gave Mirasol eight assists in eight games, already moving her into a tie for fifth on the Cornell single-season assist list.

The Red grabbed another score almost five minutes later when Nordstrom slipped one past Colgate goalie Sara Corcoran on a pass from junior Lindsay Grace for her first goal of the season.

In the second half, Colgate was able to muster more offensive force in the Cornell zone. It was rewarded for its efforts with a goal on a penalty corner at 38:08. Kristen Merkle put the ball in the net on assists from Courtney Collins and Mariah Contreras.

However, Colgate would only manage one more shot in the second half, with the Red holding the Raiders to just three shots in 70 minutes.

Kaitlin Tierney had two saves for the Red, while Corcoran had 18 on 20 Red shots for Colgate. Cornell had a 13-8 edge in penalty corners.

The Raiders fall to 3-5 (2-2 Patriot) with the loss.

The Red will go for its record-setting sixth straight win when it takes its undefeated Ivy record into New York City for a 10:30 matinee against Columbia this Saturday.

Archived article by Matt Nassr