W. Soccer Prepares for Bucknell

The women’s soccer team will look for its sixth win tonight when it faces Bucknell under the lights on Berman Field at 7 p.m. The Red (5-2-1, 1-2) is coming off a 1-0-1 showing at the UVM Invitational this past weekend, where it faced host Vermont and Marist. The Bison (5-4-1) faced Robert Morris on Sunday, and played to a 3-3 tie.

The booters opened the weekend with a 1-0 victory on Friday versus the Catamounts. After 88 scoreless minutes, senior co-captain Sarah Olsen found the back of the net for the first time this season on a header off a corner kick. Sophomore Katie Thomas recorded her fourth shutout of the season, tallying three saves. The Red outshot Vermont 24-7 but was stopped by Catamount keeper Brooke Fairbanks, who made several great saves.

On Sunday against Marist, the Red’s shot production increased to 33, but Cornell was still unable to find the back of the net. The game ended in a scoreless tie. In her first career start, senior Kristen Lotito earned the shutout in goal. Freshman Ali Gombar led Cornell with eight shots.

Bucknell is currently 0-2 in Patriot League play, losing 2-0 to both Colgate and Lafayette. The team is led by All-League selection Tara Uthchel and captain Lauren Schwarz.

Last season, Bucknell captured the Patriot League championship with a record of 12-7, 4-3. The Bison advanced to the first round of the NCAA Tournament, where it fell to Penn State.

Last season, the Red came away with a 1-0 victory against Bucknell in Lewisburg, PA. Thomas posted her third shutout in the team’s final victory in 2001. The booters will look for more production on offense today, as the team was only able to convert any of 57 shots during last weekend’s games.

After today’s game Cornell will travel to Cambridge for a Saturday afternoon game against Ivy rival Harvard, before traveling to West Point to face Army next Wednesday. The booters return home on the Oct. 19 to face Dartmouth.

Archived article by Jonathan Auerbach