Men's Soccer Seeks First Conference Win in Cambridge

The men’s soccer team will look to notch an important Ivy League win when it travels to Harvard for an 11 a.m. kickoff tomorrow morning. The Red (3-3-2, 0-2-0 Ivy) enters the game following a scoreless tie at home Wednesday against Loyola.

“Every Ivy League game seems like a one or two-goal game,” said head coach Bryan Scales. “Our guys are raring to go.”

Harvard (6-3-0, 1-0-0 Ivy) returns home after a disappointing showing at the San Francisco Diadora Classic, which saw the Crimson lose consecutive games to San Francisco and Santa Clara.

The Crimson is led by the dangerous combination of Kevin Ara and Charles Morrow, two explosive forwards who have the ability to take control of a game. Ara, who was the Ivy League Player of the Week for the week of Sept. 30, leads the team with eight goals and 18 points.

The Red, meanwhile, will attempt to break a scoring drought that has lasted for the large majority of the just-completed homestand. After scoring early in the first half of the game against Penn, the Red was held scoreless for the next 271 minutes, including being shutout by Yale and Loyola.

The game against Harvard may be just the solution to the scoring drought.

“They score a lot, but they also get scored on a lot,” said Scales.

In last year’s match, the Crimson blanked Cornell, 1-0, on a goal by Harvard’s Michael Peller midway through the second half. Cornell was unable to score in the game despite increasing the pressure on the Harvard defense late in the game.

Scales hopes that the change of scenery will be beneficial to the Red.

“It might be nice to get off campus,” he said.

With the early start, the soccer team will hope to set the tone for each of the other three Cornell teams playing at Harvard tomorrow.

“Hopefully we can kick off a good day for Cornell Athletics,” said Scales.

Archived article by Owen Bochner