F. Hockey Beats No. 14 UVA

In a win that head coach Michelle Tambroni could only describe as “bittersweet,” the field hockey team defeated No. 14 Virginia, 2-1, in a second overtime, this past Saturday on Scheollkopf field. The stickwomen then added another win yesterday against Albany.

Cornell played an extremely aggressive first half on Saturday, creating many opportunities and keeping control of the ball. Testing goaltender and ACC Player of the Week Emily White, Cornell earned several early penalty corners and kept the ball on goal. The Red headed into the second half scoreless having outshot the Cavs, 10-2.

The Cavs came into the second half strong and put the first score on the board at 42:23 with a goal from senior Kelli Hill. Cornell would not be outdone.

A minute later, the Red came back and ended a 286-minute scoring draught with a goal from junior back Kimmy Gardner, assisted by fellow classmate and back Karleigh Burns.

The game intensified as the weather worsened, allowing for fast ball movement and many breakaways. Both teams put together several close runs, raising tension on the field. With under six minutes left in regulation, the Cavaliers made a fast breakaway on net, forcing Red junior goalkeeper Kaitlin Tierney out of the goal to tackle the oncoming Cavalier and force a penalty stroke.

Cavalier freshman Katie Phillips took the penalty stroke but missed, sending the ball off to the left of the goal.

Both goalkeepers showed their talent in overtime, making heart-stopping saves to the cheers of fans on both sides of the field.

In a day of great performances from many Cornell players, Virginia native junior Carissa Mirasol put away the final goal with 2:23 remaining in the second overtime. With a last burst of effort, Mirasol knocked the ball into the left corner on a pass from classmate and midfielder Lindsay Grace.

Tambroni credited the win to the depth of the bench and her players’ speed, especially in the latter part of the game.

“[The Cavs] were fast and furious, but we took advantage of their dead legs in the second half,” said Tambroni.

Tambroni was also very proud of those who played in regulation and helped bring the team into overtime. Among those mentioned were junior midfielder Ali Winsky and sophomore attack Julie Haung.

When asked whether the Red’s performance will put it in the top 20 coaches’ poll, Tambroni was unsure.

“I don’t know, but I think if we keep doing what we’re doing we’ll have a chance,” she said.

The Red continued their winning spree against Albany yesterday, tying the school record for wins with a 3-0 blowout.

Burns started the scoring streak with a penalty stroke and senior back Laura Bardnt, assisted by Gardner, contributed with her first career goal. Mirasol topped the match off with an unassisted goal in the second half.

The Red returns to action this Saturday at Brown hoping to increase its Ivy League record to 4-1.

Archived article by Josh Dormont