Cornell Ranked Eighth In Recent USCHO Poll

The men’s hockey team has yet to play a team other than itself, but has held on to the No. 8 position in the most recent USCHO.com poll. Cornell was the only team other than No. 2 Denver to stay put as early season fluctuations sent most teams either up or down the charts.

The Red started its season ranked within the top-10 after spending much of the 2001-2002 season in that position. With only six graduating seniors and a talented returning class, the Red has been acknowledged nationally, being ranked as high as third in The Hockey News’ preseason standings.

The top-three teams were the same this week with New Hampshire moving up two spots from third with 34 first-place votes. The Wildcats beat Minnesota at home 3-1 to give them top honors in the nation and an overwhelming majority of first-place votes.

Denver was second and last year’s NCAA champion, Minnesota, followed closely in third after its first loss of the season, 507 to 505 points respectively.

Undefeated-untied Boston College rose to fourth after a 8-6 win over Vermont. The Michigan Wolverines rounded out the top five, moving up one spot.

Boston University, who lost to Hockey East doormat Merrimack 5-3, was in sixth place and North Dakota jumped up two places to seventh.

Two other ECAC schools received votes in the poll: No. 14 Harvard (112) and Clarkson (6). However, neither team has started its season yet. The Knights did sweep its exhibition games against the U.S. Under 18 team and Toronto, 2-1 and 8-2, respectively.

However, after moving up to sixth place in the USA Today poll one week ago, the Red dropped to No. 9. New Hampshire also was first, followed by Minnesota and Denver in that order.

Archived article by Sun Staff