Campus Couture

When you start blowing out fluffy poufs of breath and a rosy red starts permanently flushing your nose and cheeks, it’s clear that there’s a definite chill factor in the air, and the ravages of winter will soon be upon us. We thought we could stay in the light fall mode forever, skipping through falling foliage in our airy peasant skirts and cargo shorts, as if the mild, cool calm would last forever and extreme heat or bitter cold was just a distant memory.

Sadly, the bitter cold is in the here and now, not in the safe enclosures of our recollections. The Weatherbug keeps chirping that it’s around 35 degrees, and the readings seem only to be following a trend of dropping dishearteningly downward. Time to whip out that hefty down jacket, the thick woolen scarves, and the heavy-duty ski hats. In no time, you’ll bear a striking resemblance to Ralphie’s swaddled up bundle of a kid brother in A Christmas Story.

Preparing for hibernation doesn’t mean we have to look 100% the part of the Abominable Snowman. In fact, the current trends in winter accessories fall into the extremes of the sleek and chic or the fun and off-beat. You might be a distant cousin of the mythological beast, but you’ll bear the distinction of being the stylin’ relative. Here’s a compilation of some of the most note-worthy designs currently en vogue that, if worn, will turn you into a dapper Jack Frost or a striking Snow Queen.

For women: Extra-long scarves in striking patterns and colors are draping the necks of mannequins and dragging along the floors in stores everywhere. If you decide to wear one, make sure the rest of your outfit is relatively muted in comparison to the attention-grabbing muffler drawing all eyes on you neck-down.Pricey: MARC by Marc Jacobs Striped Scarf $168.00. Moderate: Urban Outfitters Patchwork Scarf $28.00.

For men: Men don’t have the advantage of long hair covering their ears, so it’s a practical move for them to wear a hat of some sort. There are, of course, the ubiquitous baseball cap and thuggish ski cap styles to choose from. But instead of being part of the mainstream, why not stand out by donning a nice utility cap upon your head? It’ll give you that nice rugged masculine look, which is always a plus. Pricey: Hugo Boss Corduroy Cap $50.00. Moderate: Armani Exchange Embroidered Logo Utility Cap $32.00.

Unisex Appeal: For either gender, hands must be protected with a nice warm pair of gloves. It’ll prevent them from getting chapped and unsightly, maintaining their soft, smooth texture. Women: Anthropologie Ribbon Glove $38.00. Men: J. Crew Updated Solid Suede Glove $32.00.

Archived article by Sherry Jun