M. Soccer Looks for Success Against Oneonta

photo
Following Saturday’s streak-ending 1-0 victory over Princeton, the men’s soccer team (4-6-3, 1-3-1 Ivy) will hit the road today, visiting Oneonta in a 3 p.m. affair. The Red Dragons (4-8-3, 1-2-1 ASC) have also struggled mightily this season, having not recorded a win since Sept. 28.

Saturday, the Red broke its own extended winless streak, eeking out a 1-0 win over the Tigers. Sophomore Peter Lynch scored the game’s lone goal late in the second half while junior goalkeeper Nate Dunlap saved six in picking up his first career shutout.

“After not winning for over a month, you tend to forget how to do it,” said head coach Bryan Scales. “The guys had to relearn it Saturday night. It was a very good win for them. This is another chance for us to go out and try again.”

Despite riding the relatively hot hand, Scales anticipates that a one-goal game — such as the one the Red won last season on Berman Field — is a distinct possibility today.

“It’s always a real battle,” Scales said of the series with the cross-state rival. “Especially a game that’s mid-week, three o’clock, it’s not going to be a great atmosphere. The guys are going to have to generate their own atmosphere for this game and concentrate on the job at hand.”

Last year, the Red beat Oneonta 2-1, as junior Kaj Hackinen scored the game winning goal. Dunlap recorded the win in his only start of the season.

“It will be a one-goal game again,” predicted Scales.

The Red Dragons are led by senior forward Ryan Rummery, whose four goals and 50 shots lead the team. Junior goalkeeper Jack Potter has recorded three shutouts on the year, making 62 saves. Entering the final four games of the season, the Red will hope to continue to create scoring chances and finally begin to capitalize on them.

“One of the areas that we’ve been someone deficient in has been finishing off our chances,” said Scales. “Eventually you begin to finish off your chances as the guys become more comfortable in front of the goal, and we’ve not quite gotten there.”

Lineup changes are again a possibility following exemplary performances by Dunlap in goal and by Lynch and junior Matt Blumenstyk at midfield against Princeton. Dunlap will start his third straight game, as he gets an extended look going into next season. Scales also expects to try out players at different positions again today.

“We’ll keep looking at everybody, and everybody’s going in the same direction,” he said.

Archived article by Owen Bochner