Volleyball Loses Critical Matches

The volleyball team dropped both of its matches this past weekend, as it fell to 6th place in the Ivy League with only two games remaining in the season. Cornell (13-11, 5-7 Ivy) had trouble containing Yale (12-9, 6-5) on Friday and was unable to come out on top against Brown (10-13, 6-5) on Saturday. The losses were especially disappointing for the Red, as it has now dropped four matches in a row and is no longer in contention for the Ivy title.

Yale’s red-hot offense clicked on all levels against Cornell on Friday, as the Bulldogs had one of its strongest performances their the season. Yale hit a season-high .436 as a team, progressively getting better in each game it played. Taryn Gallup had 12 kills and no errors on 15 attacks (.800) for Yale, while teammate Jana Freeman had 13 kills on a .423 hitting percentage in the 30-18, 30-18, 30-16 win. Allison Lungstrum added six kills on .357 hitting, while Renee Lopes had nine kills on .471 hitting. Jacqueline Becker posted 33 assists, while Joey Lee had a match-high 11 digs in the win.

Cornell had few highlights for the evening with the possible exception of junior outside hitter Debbie Quibell, who recorded her 16th double-double of the season with 10 kills and 10 digs. The 10 kills moved Quibell to third all-time in career kills in Cornell history. With the 20 kills she added the next day, she is now at 1036 kills. Quibell also made history this weekend by moving up to sixth all-time with 903 digs.

Senior outside hitter Angela Barbera also had a solid day, recording 11 kills and seven digs in the loss, while sophomore Kathryn Conrad had seven digs as the team’s libero.

Cornell’s woes continued the next day against Brown. Despite a 20-kill, 13-dig performance by Quibell, Cornell fell 3-1 (30-28, 19-30, 30-25, 30-28) to the Bears, who avenged a loss they suffered at the hands of the Red earlier in the season.

The Red out hit Brown .188-.176 as a team, but could not contain the Bears’ Jessie Cooper and Angela Dunn, who had 16 kills each and hit a combined .286. Lauren Gibbs also notched double-figure kills for the Bears with 10, adding five blocks and three aces in the victory.

In addition to Quibell’s effort, Conrad had 11 kills and 12 digs for her first career double-double, while junior Ashely Stover registered 10 kills and five blocks.

Freshmen Rachel Adomat and Heather Young tallied six and five kills, respectively. Freshman Whitney Fair did the setting and was credited with 43 assists.

The Red will wrap up its season next week at Newman Arena where it will face Harvard and Dartmouth. These games will be the last two for two members of the Red, Barbera, and senior captain Mary Margaret Moore.

Archived article by Chris Callanan