M. Soccer Plays Hartwick to Draw

Junior Doug Charton scored in the 86th minute to even the game, as the men’s soccer team (4-7-4, 1-4-1 Ivy) played Hartwick (9-7-3, 4-1-0 ASC) to a 1-1 draw last night in Oneonta. The Red will now prepare for its season finale Saturday morning at Columbia.

In a game played through less than optimal conditions, the Red resumed its customary defensive dominance in limiting the Hawks to very few good shots on goal. To many around the team, this tie came as a welcome relief following last Saturday’s 12 shots on goal in a 7-1 loss to Dartmouth.

Following a scoreless first half, Hartwick jumped out on top early in the second on a free kick. The Red battled valiantly throughout the half, trying to create opportunities to score. Sophomore Steve Reuter, returning to the starting lineup following Saturday’s Senior Night festivities, was the key man on offense, leading the charge in producing many of Cornell’s scoring chances.

“The guys worked very hard,” said head coach Bryan Scales.

In the overtime period, Cornell put together several strong scoring opportunities, but to no avail.

“Their keeper made some good saves,” Scales said, “but we need to be better in front of the goal. There were several chances that we should have finished off.”

On the defensive end, junior Nate Dunlap had another superb game in goal, making several key saves, including one off a shot that tipped off the post and another on a shot that got behind him in the overtime period. On that shot, Dunlap was able to back track and smother the ball, preserving the tie.

“With one game left, I’m glad to see the guys able to battle back and put things right,” said Scales. “They worked very hard in the hope that things would begin to fall.”

With the draw, the Red may play spoiler in Hartwick’s College Cup aspirations. After finishing the season second in the American Soccer Conference, the Hawks had an outside chance of being selected at large for the tournament field of 48 teams. As Hartwick’s season is now over, the team will play the waiting game until the selections are announced next week.

Cornell will wrap up its season on Saturday when it visits No. 24 Columbia.

Archived article by Owen Bochner