W. Soccer Players Win Individual Ivy Honors

The Ivy League announced its 2002 women’s soccer All-Ivy selections yesterday, with four players from Cornell being recognized for their performances this season. Senior co-captain Sarah Olsen was named to the second-team for the third straight season, while junior co-captain Lindsay Rovegno, sophomore Katie Thomas, and freshman Shannon Fraser received All-Ivy Honorable Mention.

Serving as captain for the second straight year, Olsen provided leadership at midfield all season. She netted a team-high five goals this season, including two game-winners against Vermont and Wagner. Olsen finished her Red career eighth in career goals scored with 18.

Thomas earned her second-straight All-Ivy Honorable Mention after a stellar year in goal for the Red. Starting in 14 games this season, Thomas netted six shutouts, which was tops in the Ivy League. She also finished second for saves with 68, and fourth for goals against average with a 0.96 mark.

Rovegno helped anchor the Red’s defense, which allowed the second-fewest goals in the Ivy League with a 0.87 GAA. The Red backs did not allow a single goal in non-conference play this season in eight contests.

Fraser had a great freshman campaign, leading the team in scoring with three goals and five assists. She was named Ivy League Rookie of the Week for her performance in the Red’s win over Bucknell on Oct. 9, in which she netted a goal and an assist. All three of her goals this season were game-winners.

Sophomore Katy Cross of Penn was named Ivy League Player of the Year, after being named Ivy League Rookie of the Year last season. She led the league in scoring with 14 goals and four assists and is Penn’s first player to ever be named Player of the Year. Princeton’s Emily Behncke was named Ivy League Rookie of the Year. The league will send three teams to this year’s NCAA tournament. Princeton earned the automatic bid by capturing its first-ever outright Ivy title with a 6-1 league record. Dartmouth and Yale received at-large bids to the tournament.

The Red finished the 2002 regular season with an 8-5-2 overall record, including 2-5-0 in conference play. The team doubled its win total from 2001 and recorded its first winning season under head coach Berhane Andeberhan. The team set a program record with a 10-game unbeaten streak in non-conference play dating back to 2001. The booters also set a new record for longest road win streak with four.

Cornell was also one of four teams selected to play in the ECAC Championships on Nov. 16-17. The Red, seeded third, will play Providence at 2:00 p.m. at St. John’s University.

Archived article by Jonathan Auerbach