Hangovers Prepare for Fall Tonic Concert

Ever wake up with a slight headache after a long night, vision a little blurred, trying to remember the events of the past twenty-four hours? Welcome to the life of a Hangover.

No, not the hangover you can count on after a long night at the Palms, but rather the Hangovers of Cornell a cappella fame. After logging so many hours in Lincoln Hall, it’s no wonder the group looks tired. But with so much practice the group is more than ready for its 23rd annual Fall Tonic tomorrow night at 8:00 p.m. in Bailey Hall.

With the annual concert usually a sellout, or close to it, Fall Tonic XXIII promises to entertain. Concerts put on by the 13-member group are known for difficult arrangements, hysterical skits, glowing pumpkins carved by the fifty or more alumni that return, and inevitable candy fights that erupt after intermission.

Although the actual set is a secret, the men promise it will be a hit.

Senior Andy Goldin, the group’s musical director, said, “We’re really excited about this Fall Tonic set. We really feel that the songs we picked are very versatile and cover all ranges of music.”

The most impressive aspect of the group’s concerts is the difficult arrangements the members develop. Goldin elaborated, saying, “We have an arrangement, we learn the arrangement and then we make the arrangement our own; this is the Hangovers arrangement of a song. That’s what I like to pride us on.”

For a few members of the group it will be their first Fall Tonic and the excitement is visible.

Sophomore Doug Markant said, “I’m really excited about Fall Tonic, I think it’s amazing how much preparation goes into it. It can be really time consuming and frustrating sometimes, but I think that when it gets to be Saturday night it will be worth it because of all of the energy of Bailey Hall and how much fun we are going to have up there.”

Noteworthy about this show is that it will be the final time the members sing at Bailey Hall before it closes for construction next year.

Sophomore Dylan Bindman said, “This is going to be the last time it will be in Bailey Hall for the next few years, and I think it is going to make a big difference. It’s so amazing to go into Bailey Hall and sing in front of 15, 16 hundred people. It’s something that can’t really be replicated anywhere on campus.”

Senior Chris Nobel, president of the Hangovers, agreed with Bindman, explaining that the audience attendance and enthusiasm is absolutely phenomenal.

“It really is an outstanding feeling to be in front of an audience that just absolutely craves to hear you sing, and I really look forward to it this year,” he said.

Overall, the group said that on Saturday night they are just looking to have fun, produce some good music and entertain.

“We are just up on stage beaming and scared out of our minds but knowing that they’re having a grand old time. We want to make people laugh. We want to make people cry. We want people to sigh and just be like, ‘yeah, that’s good stuff,'” Goldin said.

Junior Jeremy Riley explained that it was the Fall Tonic he attended his freshman year that convinced him to try out for the group.

“This group had a fun time while making good music and it was just really exciting as an audience member, it really allowed me to get into it,” he said. “It was just exciting to see the energy and how much everyone really got into this concert.”

Also performing Saturday night will be the Tufts’ Amalgamates, who last performed with the Hangovers two years ago.

Considered one of the best co-ed a cappella groups on the East coast, the Amalgamates are Tufts College’s oldest co-ed a cappella group. The group’s last CD release, Juice, has won various awards including the Best Co-ed Collegiate CD, Song and Soloist in 2001. The group has also been featured on three Best of College A Cappella albums, among others.

The Hangovers are a subset of the Glee Club and, contrary to popular belief, the group’s name is not the result of excess consumption at the weekend bar scene. Rather, it is a term used to describe fifth-year engineering and architecture students. Founders of the Hangovers were all part of this classification and thus the name arose, although some current Hangovers allude to a double meaning.

Tickets are on sale for eight dollars in Willard Straight Hall or on their website.

If you can’t wait until tomorrow night to get your Hangovers fill, they will be reuniting with alumni tonight at 9:30 at Balch for an Arch Sing.

Archived article by Kristen Haunss