Red Rides at Morrisville

Coming off a close third finish in its first show, the equestrian team looks to build on its performance as it visits Morrisville tomorrow. The riders’ third-place finish was closer, as it trailed winner Skidmore by only two points, 39-37. Colgate placed in the middle with 38.

With an extra week of practice the women should be in position to move up in the finishes. The team has been hurt because of Ivy League regulations that ordained that it not practice at the beginning of the season as part of the seven-week rule. Most of the competing teams had been practicing for one month longer than the Red since Cornell is the only Ivy League team in the region.

The squad had several strong performances from veterans and newcomers alike in last week’s show at Hartwick. Tri-captains seniors Julie Canter and Kate Cornell and junior Jeannette Pettit all did well in the open flat and open fences. Meanwhile junior Emi Knafo captured second in the advanced walk-trot-canter and an invite to the Regional championships in the spring.

The young squad has shown its depth with high finishes in most of the events and hopes to improve even more at Morrisville. A two-point win over Skidmore tomorrow could catapult the Red into first-place standing in the region, and push the riders one step closer to their ultimate goal of winning the region.

Last year Cornell won the Morrisville show in its second to last regular-season event of the season, and came in second in an earlier one.

Archived article by Amanda Angel