VBall Ends 2002

The women’s volleyball team heads into its last weekend of play for the 2002 season this weekend on the East Hill. The matches will be the final ones of departing seniors Angela Barbera and Mary Margaret Moore.

Tonight, the Red (13-11, 5-7 Ivy) will face Harvard (13-10, 9-3) and be in the position to scrap the Crimson’s hopes of winning the league.

Harvard is currently trailing conference leader Penn (19-4, 10-1) by two games. In order to force a one-game playoff between itself and the Quakers, the Crimson needs to win both of its matches this weekend and hope that Penn loses at least two of its final three contests.

If Cornell can rebound from its four-match losing streak and come out ahead of its Boston rivals, Harvard will be mathematically eliminated from the race. That would give the Red some restitution for the loss its competitors inflicted a month ago that began its decline in the rankings.

Harvard brings several solid players to the table. Sophomore outside hitter Kaego Ogbechie leads the team with 4.61 kills per game and had a solid match against the Quakers last weekend with 27 kills and 18 digs. Senior setter Mindy Jellin is averaging 11.55 assists per game and posted 86 assists and 22 digs over the past weekend. She is within striking distance of Harvard’s career assists record, needing 118 assists to break it.

These players will be challenged by a Red offense that has nothing to lose and suffered its two most recent defeats against Princeton and Penn. Harvard forced the Tigers to five games, but was shut out by a dominating Quaker squad that continues proving that it deserves the top spot in the league.

To close out the season, Cornell will face Dartmouth tomorrow.

The Big Green (5-19, 1-11) also fell to Penn and Princeton last weekend in a shutout and another five-game match. Dartmouth has lost 12 of its past 13 matches, however, in its earlier match against Cornell this year, it forced the Red to five games.

Despite the loss to the Tigers, Dartmouth saw many players record milestones in that match. Junior outside hitter Kainoa Fialkowski set the single match Dartmouth record for digs with 39 and is averaging 3.51 digs per game for the season. Sophomore outside hitter Anna Jenkins matched her career high of 19 kills and freshman right side Sarah Nadler had her own career-high 16. Junior setter Chelsea Morgan had 65 assists and is averaging 10.07 apg.

Tonight’s contest will be played at 7 p.m. and tomorrow’s match will be at 4 p.m. Both matches will be held at Newman Arena.

Archived article by Katherine Granish