W. Cagers Open Year At Seton Hall Tourney

The women’s basketball team will kick off its season tonight when it tips off at the Seton Hall Tournament against Coppin State. The Red finished second last season in the Ivy League, its best finish ever. However, with the graduation of All-Ivy guards Breean Walas ’02 and Do Stevens ’02, and the departure of coach Marnie Dacko, the 2002-2003 version of the Cornell squad will have a whole new look.

New head coach Dayna Smith and her squad will open the year against a Coppin State. squad that finished last season with a 14-14 record. Residing in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, the Lady Eagles are returning three starters to their lineup.

LaKesha Wills, last season’s MEAC Rookie of the Year, will pose problems for the Red on the interior. Wills led Coppin State. in scoring last season with 12.5 points per game to go along with her 6.3 rebounds per contest.

Cornell dominated last season’s meeting, 57-33, in the championship game of the Cornell Classic.

In the second round of the tournament, Cornell will face either Fairleigh Dickinson or host Seton Hall, pending the outcome of tonight’s games.

The Red returns All-Ivy guard sophomore tri-captain Karen Force, who averaged 11.3 points, 3.7 rebounds, and 4.7 assists per contest last season. Force was provided stellar defense, compiling 60 steals.

Tri-captain senior Lynell Davis will be the Red’s top inside presence. She comes off a season in which she led the team in rebounding with 6.1 per game. However, she will be asked to shoulder a greater scoring burden with the departure of Walas and Stevens, and will look to improve upon her 6.3 points per game.

After this weekend’s games, the Red will compete in three more road contests before it plays its home opener on Dec. 6.

Tip-off for tonight’s game is 8 p.m.

Archived article by Sun Staff