Riders Finish Second at Skidmore

The Cornell women’s equestrian team came up with its best performance of the season, placing second at the Skidmore show this weekend.

“We just had a great day,” said head coach Chris Mitchell.

Cornell finished with a season-high 45 points, one point behind first-place Skidmore and well ahead of third-place Colgate, which had 34. Cornell’s 45 points earned it Reserve High Point Team honors for the day.

“A perfect day is 49 points, so even though it hurts a bit that Skidmore finished ahead of us, any day where we finish with 45 points has to count as a really good day. Everyone rode really well, and though we made a couple of mistakes, we just have to make sure we don’t repeat them.” Mitchell commented.

“Our open division was on fire and the walk-trotters were spectacular. The rookies all had really good showings to add to strong performances from the veterans” added Mitchell.

Junior tri-captain Jeannette Pettit started the day with a strong second place finish in the open fence division, and senior tri-captain Julie Canter followed that up with a blue ribbon.

Cornell’s excellent performances continued with freshmen Angela Barclay and Asta Torokvei, finishing first and second in the next class of the open.

The intermediate fences were next. Junior Alaina Hoffman placed fifth, sophomore Erica Rosen was second in her class, and freshman Megan Gates was fifth.

In the novice fence division, freshman Mary Slocum finished second in her class, while classmate Cheryl Horton won her class in her second show.

The open flat saw Cornell continue its good showing, with senior tri-captain Kate Cornell finishing second and Barclay finishing fifth in the same class. Torokvei won her class, and Canter finished second in hers.

In the intermediate flat division, Hoffman placed third and Gates won in their respective classes to come back strongly from their performances in the fences.

The novice flat saw the freshmen continue to impress, with Slocum and Horton both finishing second in their respective sections.

In the walk-trot-canter, freshmen Abby McKenna and Lindsey Quick both won in their second shows, and junior Erin Goodrich finished fourth in her first advanced class.

The walk-trot saw sophomore Linda Nguyen win her class and qualify for the regional championships in the spring. Senior Lauren Goldman then finished with a second place in her second show.

“We were all really happy for Linda Nguyen, we had every confidence that she could qualify for the regionals.” Mitchell said.

Canter, Torokvei, and Horton all won one class and placed second in another, leading to a ride-off between the three for the Reserve High Point Rider of the Day. This honor went to Torokvei.

“It was great to see that all three girls who qualified for the Reserve High Point Rider of the Day were from Cornell. I would have been happy no matter which of them had won it, and Asta put in a stellar performance to clinch it.” Mitchell noted.

“We always do well in Skidmore, the horses were great, which helped us. We were disappointed after our first two shows, I felt that we rode well but without rewards. In this show we were finally rewarded for our riding.” he commented .

Mitchell looked forward to Dec. 8, the date of Cornell’s first home show of the season at the Oxley equestrian center.

“We needed to do well in this show to increase our confidence before our home show. We’re going to enjoy our break before Dec. 8,” he said. “The girls are going to be busy with finals, but we’re going to be charged up for our show, and we have every intention of winning it.”

Archived article by Sandeep Ravindran