Campus Couture

The winter holiday season is simply the best because we finally stop worrying about our own appearance and selflessly make-over someone else for a change. Set aside a moment to realize that Dad would look so great in the new suit you’ve bought him, that Mom would be so elegant in that cashmere sweater you’ve just wrapped up, and that your friend Suzy really needs to do something about that hair of hers, so you’ll treat her to a fabulous day at the trendiest salon. When the big day comes, everyone will be so stylin’, all because of you and your warm, giving heart!

What’s even better about the holidays is that there are so many glitzy get-togethers in which everyone can trade gifts and have their moments of glory in the generosity spotlight. This means you don’t have to be left out of the fashion fun, because, after all, you’ll want to look your best; these Kodak moment-inspiring feel-good functions can either snap you into the Couture Hall of Fame or the Condemned Wall of Style Shame.

So don’t feel bad about selling out to the commercialism of Christmas and the holidays when you doll yourself up in a nice cocktail dress or tuxedo. You’re just celebrating the spirit of the season with the ones you love, and it’s just so much easier to get into it and sincerely (or insincerely) thank one another for the gift when all of you are just so picture pefect. With that in mind, end the year with a big bang, and here’s a guide to the best oufits that’ll be sure to do just that. Snag that outfit, and then go have yourself a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Chi-Chi Black Tie Extravaganza – For guys, this suave, albeit expensive, single-breasted tuxedo from Ermenegildo Zegna will set you back $1,595. For girls, the sexy Spanish woven velvet slip dress from Betsey Johnson is yours for $285.

Cool Clubbing Clothes – The Comfort Chic look from Armani Exchange for guys, an ensemble available for $285, and the Night Vision look from Armani Exchange for girls, in the form of a stunning matte jersey chain dress for $98, will definitely turn heads.

Preppy Casual Get-Together – You don’t want to be too flashy or too low key, so these items from Banana Republic will be just right. For guys, go for the cashmere crewneck sweater for $118, and for girls, try the hammered silk cowlneck dress for $128.

Simple but Stylin’ – Girls will simply die for this $178 exquisite embroidered crinkle silk chiffon cap sleeve top from Max Studio, and a leather jacket is a basic item in any guy’s closet, so consider this $395 one from Kenneth Cole New York.

Archived article by Sherry Jun