Buffalo Stampedes W. Basketball, 61-35

Despite a game-high 16 points from junior guard Lauren Kilduff, the women’s basketball team (6-8, 0-1 Ivy) was unable to keep pace with a quicker Buffalo team Monday night and fell to the Bulls 61-35.

With a one-point lead with six minutes remaining, Buffalo (9-5, 1-2 MAC) began an 11-4 run to go into the break with a 24-16 lead. The Bulls continued their hot hand early in the second, stringing together an 11-0 run at the start, preventing the Red from scoring a field goal for the first 11 minutes of the half, to break the game open. Buffalo never looked back en route to the convincing victory.

Jessica Kochendorfer led the way for the Bulls, scoring a team-high 14 points with 10 rebounds in 24 minutes. She also recorded three blocks on the game. Erin Lawrenson added 12 points and three assists, shooting four-of-six from 3-point range.

For the Red, senior center Lynell Davis blocked three and was one of 10 Cornell players to score points. Davis also recorded two steals.

In addition to her season-high 16 points, Kilduff also led the Red with eight rebounds and a career-best four steals. Kilduff shot five-for-10 from behind the arc and four-for-eight from the line.

Cornell guards Karen Force and Katie Romey, the team’s leading scorers, were held pointless for the entire first half. Force did finally tally a basket in the second half, but had four turnovers on the game.

On the game, the Red shot just 11-50 from the field and was outrebounded by Buffalo 44-34.

Cornell will hope to rebound on Saturday when it travels to Columbia, which beat the Red 61-58 in the Ivy opener this past weekend.

Archived article by Owen Bochner