W. Icers Visit St. Lawrence

After a two-game homestand, the women’s hockey team will head back out on the road this weekend, as it travels up to the North Country to take on No. 7 St. Lawrence (12-6-3, 4-3-1 ECAC) for a two-game set today at 7 p.m. and tomorrow at 4 p.m. The Red (1-11-1, 0-5-1 ECAC) was swept by No. 9 Mercyhurst last weekend at Lynah Rink.

Last Saturday, Mercyhurst scored two goals in a span of two minutes in the first period to jump out to the early lead. The Red cut that lead in half when freshman Caitlin Warren netted her second goal of the season. The score remained 2-1 until 18:46 of the third period when Mercyhurst lit the lamp again. Senior Sanya Sandahl was pulled to bring out the extra attacker, but the Lakers put one in the empty net to seal the victory at 4-1.

Senior Liz Connelly got the start for the Red in Sunday’s game. The Lakers scored two power play goals in the first period while outshooting Cornell 14-4 in the period. Mercyhurst added another two goals in the second, firing 17 shots at Connelly in the period. The icers were unable to get on the board, and Mercyhurst grabbed a 4-0 shutout victory.

The Red will resume its conference schedule this weekend against the Saints and only has two non-conference games left this season. Currently, Cornell is tied for last place in the ECAC with Vermont, as neither team has won a conference game this season. The Red tied the Catamounts earlier this season at Lynah Rink, giving both teams only one point in the conference standings. Yale sits in eighth place with two points, having defeated Cornell in the Red’s first game of the season. Eight of the nine ECAC teams will play in the postseason tournament, so the Red needs to pick up some more points as the season winds down in order to clinch an ECAC playoff spot.

“We’ve taken huge strides since the last time we played an ECAC game. I’m a little worried about all the stress they’ll get going back to school now, but we’re a much different team than we were before Christmas, and that’s going to bode well,” commented head coach Melody Davidson.

St. Lawrence traveled to Providence last weekend for a weekend series against Brown, coming away with one point after two tight contests. On Friday night, the Bears scored two goals in each of the first two periods to grab a 4-1 lead over the Saints. St. Lawrence netted a goal in the last half of the second, added another one midway through the third to come within one goal. Brown’s defense held firm, stopping the Saints on a 5-on-3 power play during the final two minutes of play to clinch the victory.

On Saturday, St. Lawrence gave up a two-goal lead in the third period, as Brown tied the game with less than three minutes to play to send the game to overtime. Neither team lit the lamp in the extra session, and the game ended in a tie.

St. Lawrence boasts a deep team, with nine players recording more than 10 points this season. Shannon Smith leads the team in assists and points with 15 and 24 respectively, while Chera Marshall leads the team in goals with nine. Rachel Barrie has played 20 games in net this season for the Saints, with an impressive 2.21 GAA and a .923 save percentage.

“St. Lawrence is going to be a good test. They’re a very strong team, so hopefully we’ll withstand that test,” remarked Davidson.

The Red will travel to Orono, ME. for two games against Maine next weekend before returning home to face Ivy rivals Yale and No. 8 Princeton the following weekend.

Archived article by Jonathan Auerbach