W. Icers Lose Pair to St. Lawrence Saints

The St. Lawrence Saints stuck it to the women’s hockey team this weekend, producing two 8-1 blowouts. In both games, the Red came out strongly, but then collapsed. This play has become routine for Cornell (1-13-1, 0-7-1 ECAC), which seemed to be on the upswing after garnering its first win two weeks ago.

On Friday, the Saints (14-16-3, 3-6-1 ECAC) quickly demonstrated why their record is as good as it is, scoring a goal only 4:02 into the first period. However, senior goaltender Liz Connelly was able to stymie St. Lawrence’s repeated chances after that, and the game remained at 1-0 going into intermission.

The collapse began in the second period. The Saints averaged a goal per minute for the first three minutes of period two, making the score 4-0. Senior alternate captain Erin Ellis cut the deficit to three with a goal, but this did little to stop the bleeding. St. Lawrence’s Kelly Sage made the score 5-1 before the end of the second.

In the third period, St. Lawrence picked up three more goals, two of them coming at the beginning of the period. The game ended with an 8-1 score.

Saturday proved to be little better than Friday was for Cornell. Once again, the Red came to play hard, but allowed two goals in a span of 1:46 in the first period. Senior goalie Sanya Sandahl played well after that, and the score remained at 2-0 going into the first intermission.

The second period remained scoreless until, after senior captain Brooke Bestwick took a hooking penalty at 8:50, Ricki-Lee Doyle scored on the power play at 9:43. The Red responded well, however. At 14:59, freshman surprise Jen Munhofen scored her second goal of the season to bring the Red within reach. The period ended with the Red trailing 3-1.

Despite the apparent improvements from the night before, the Red once again collapsed. This time, however, the defense crumbled in the third period instead of the second. Over the next twenty minutes of play, the Saints capitalized on five of fifteen shots to produce an 8-1 final identical to that of Friday night.

The Red continues its road trip next Friday when the team heads to Maine to take on the Black Bears. Both teams will be looking to end losing streaks that began two weeks ago.

Archived article by Michael Pandolfini