Sqaush Teams to Battle Navy

The Cornell men’s and women’s squash teams take the road south this weekend to do battle with Navy, George Washington, and Franklin & Marshall in the last matches of the regular season.

“These are going to be some good matches for us,” said senior women’s captain Rachel Perschetz. “I expect us to be very successful this weekend.”

Long Haul

The long day of matches kicks off tomorrow morning, as the women square off against Navy at Annapolis. The men take the courts at midday.

“We won the matches last year fairly handily,” said sophomore Mike Delany. “Of course, they’re a strong team, but if we play at our level we should be just fine.”

Shaking off the Rust

In the afternoon, the men and women will part ways; the women remain at the Naval Academy to meet George Washington, while the men make the long trek to Lancaster, PA to take on the Franklin & Marshall Diplomats.

“It’s going to be a bit strange playing the morning matches and then piling into the bus and just sitting there for three hours,” said Delany. “We’re going to need to shake off the rust.”

All in all, tomorrow should serve mostly to hone the Red’s skills for the upcoming postseason tournaments. The teams scheduled are not nearly at the caliber that Cornell is used to facing.

“This is GW’s first year fielding a women’s team, so we’re obviously looking for good results,” said Perschetz. “We hope to end the regular season on a positive note and ride those victories into Nationals.”

Archived article by Per Ostman