Swimmers Take Trip to Big Apple

A week after setting two Teagle Pool records, the men’s swimming and diving team (5-2) continues its EISL season tomorrow at Columbia. The women’s team will also spend the weekend in New York City, taking part in a tri-meet against Brown and Columbia tomorrow morning.

The men’s team finished its home season with a bang last week, dispatching Colgate 179-108. It was a day that saw records fall, beginning with the 400-yard individual medley. Senior Danny Royce won the event in 4:04.98, demolishing the old record of 4:07.74. Junior Rob Payne also bettered the old record with his second-place finish of 4:07.26.

Royce also took first in the 500-yard freestyle in 4:49.72.

Later in the day, a second record fell as 200-yard freestyle relay team of senior Charlie Ernst, senior Jeremy Sample, sophomore Paul Teta, and senior Julian King won the event in 1:23.92, eclipsing the previous Teagle best of 1:24.26.

For the Lions, Ben Collins (400-yard IM), Scott Troob (diving), and Rusty Corley (freestyle sprints) will provide the strongest competition.

The women’s swimming and diving team also comes off a victory over Colgate, 159-140. Leading the way for the Red was Jessica Brookman, fresh off her pool record-setting performance in the 100 yard backstroke a week earlier, winning the same event in 58.62. Cornell won a total of nine events in the win.

Columbia enters the meet following an emphatic 205-92 victory over Army last week. Liz Swartwout and Jessica Braun were the stars for the Lions, each winning a pair of events as Columbia won a total of 13 in the meet.

The Bears come into the meet following a 145-97 win over Penn Jan. 19. Michelle Oeser won the 200-yard freestyle and the 100-yard freestyle in leading Brown to the victory.

The diving events for both meets will be held tonight at Columbia with the swimming events slated for tomorrow.

Archived article by Owen Bochner